Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Reviews : House of the Dead : Overkill

Just as the instruction booklet explicitly stated, I vowed to not "comment" until I had beaten Director's Cut mode. So I have, and I can safely say, this game is fantastic. By now you've probably read reviews somewhere else and already heard about the game's shortcomings. So yes, there is some occasional slowdown and I even encountered some shooting issues when playing with 2 players, but this game rocks!!

Here's a simple run down.. The game has gratuitous cussing, laugh out loud dialogue, an over the top storyline that borders on incoherent, while managing to be the MOST enjoyable light gun shooter I've played on Wii. The graphics are good, really good in fact. The zomb..mutant models are fantastic, and the body dismemberment is so enjoyable to watch. There is nothing better than triggering slow-mo, and watching limbs fly at you; its utterly hilarious and satisfying. The movie filter gives it a great feel, and the soundtrack is one of the most fitting for any game I've played. Even the song lyrics are over the top, but they capture the vibe which they pay homage to so well. The presentation is legitimately top notch, and everything from navigating menus to volume adjustment is implemented well. However, I wish the Carnival and Lake stages weren't so dark because I had trouble seeing some enemies. I also think pre-rendered cut scenes would have been better because the in game graphics are far superior than those in the cut scenes...but that's my opinion. Other than that, the game is an absolute blast to play.

So here's what it really boils down to: gameplay and fun factor. The game works! You point at the screen and shoot the hell out of hordes of "mutants". It does what its supposed to very well. Ultimately what hooked me beyond everything else is the replayability. I loved Ghost Squad, but even that doesn't hold a candle to this game. You are given incentive to play over and over, and it never gets stale. I swear I have played the hospital stage (which is my favorite) countless times in an attempt to maintain a "Goregasm", which is achieved by consecutive kills without being hit, through the entire stage. Little touches like seeing that flag wave in the upper left corner of my TV keeps me coming back. I wish I had the testimonials of the men & women who are not even Nintendo purists like myself, that fought to play the game damn near all weekend. The game is fun, and I can't stress that enough. Its enjoyable beyond anything I imagined, and I was excited for this one. I applaud Headstrong and Sega for literally crafting a game that I can see myself playing for a really long time. Just to reiterate, I own Link's Crossbow Training, HOTD Return, Ghost Squad, and Umbrella Chronicles, but none.. and I mean none of them are as enjoyable as this. If you like on rail shooters, you'll be impressed. True Story!!

My Score: 8.6/10

No comments: